Monday, June 6, 2011

Indoor Herb Garden, Part 1

After spending WAY too much money on herbs at the grocery store, I decided it was time to start my own little garden!  I by no means have a green thumb, so don't be scared.  I also can not say this was a success yet, but I do have wonderful little seedlings that are growing each day!

Supplies:
Terra Cotta Containers (One for each plant type)
Terra Cotta Saucer (1 large to hold all pots)
Acrylic Paint (the simple cheap paint at the craft store)
Paint Brush
Scrapbook Paper (coordinating with paint color)
Cricut Machine (optional)
Modge Podge Glue
Clear Coat Sealing Spray (cheap at Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupon)
Seeds (I used Cilantro, Basil, and Chives)
Potting Soil

Today, we will be painting the pots!  This is a simple and fun step (I guess every step is simple and fun though). I used white and yellow paint that matched some scrapbooking paper I had leftover from my recipe book.  Feel free to go crazy choosing your colors! 

Start by painting the outside of your pots white.  This took about 2-3 good coats because the terra cotta is very absorbent.  I also painted the bottom side of my sauce white at this time.

When the paint is dry (and it should dry pretty fast), paint the top rim of each pot yellow along with the inside lip.  No need to paint the entire inside of the pot because it will later be filled with soil.

Below is the finished product.  As you can see, I painted the top of my saucer yellow to match the pots. Let these dry thoroughly. (I also put down some newspaper while painting to avoid any mishaps!)


Easy enough so far? Tomorrow I will post the next step: Labeling each pot with decorative lettering and sealing. Happy Planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment